Sunday, February 12, 2012

Everyone Needs A Job

When I was very young, I wanted to write. Poems, I was certain would be my natural specialty. In my scrapbook, I still have my first recorded poem. I wish I had a unicorn. I would ride it all day long. Odd that never panned out. In middle school I wanted to be an astronaut. I couldn't spell astronaut, so it was simply a verbal response. And highly influenced by the movie space camp. In high school, it was a lawyer. I wanted to wear tailored suits, sexy heels, argue with men and make a lot of money. In college, I landed a part time position in the school library. A combination of an early application and seven years volunteer service in libraries. This was the closest to my dream job. The librarian, Art was a perfect boss. Scolded me for walking around barefoot. Looked the other way when I ate behind the counter. Must important expanded my meager knowledge of book repairs. I was already reattaching loose pages and rebinding books with crude materials and sloppy technique. Art ordered an array of professional materials and guided my work. I loved it. Restoring documents could have been my profession. Until I made one of my classic bad decisions. Fast forward nineteen years. I'm a successful retail manager. The profit I bring my company every year is staggering compared to some of my Co workers. I pride myself on my ability to spot new talent and train up accordingly. I've cleaned up many an underperforming store, with this company and others before. I am content. I make a nice living. I was content. I say in a darkened theater three days ago watching a movie preview on the screen before me. A young boy on a selfish quest unintentionally effects the lives of strangers. Bettering their lives. At least, that's what I perceived from the preview. As the random photos of a wide variety of people only unified by their smiles or contented faces dotted the screen, I silently slowly began to redirect myself. Hello, my name is Cynthea. I'm twice divorced, been single forever. A mother of two amazing children with their own gifts. I started my adult life shy. Afraid to go to the grocery store by myself. I married my first husband because he wanted to. Oh and I was a princess and didn't want to work. I also had never been educated on finances and economics and believed if you had A job you automatically made enough money got everything you ever wanted. I was pretty upset when my husband showed me his paycheck. I married my second husband for essentially the same reason. Than. I got a clue. I'm the front runner. The leader. Organizer. Director. I walk into a situation, access and delegate. Follow up. Verify. However, when this all stops, when that life runs out... Nothing I accomplished (through my job) will matter. Not to anyone but some wealthy corporate execs. I want to be the silent person no one knows that provides that smile. I want to PROVIDE. I want to get my hands dirty. I want to work in relief. When I get home after a long day at work, I don't want my contentment to come from knowing all the sale pricing is done. The store made 10% over plan today. The planner is set. I'd like to know one less family will be homeless today. Forty people will fall sleep with full stomachs. A child learned to read and write five new words today. And I was a part of that. I understand I'm not going to submit an application, hop on a boat to Bangladesh and cure disease and famine. I understand I will have to start at the bottom. I also understand any skill set is valuable. And I too can make a difference. With my hands. *Not only is this obviously my first post, it was created on my phone. With little exploration of features. Also, the page isn't allowing me to reach the spell check button. My apologies. It will get better. ;)

8 comments:

  1. Loved the post. : ) I have worked in retail management myself for 7-11. Too many hours and not enough of, well life and often left feeling unappreciated. :/ I left there for a better job that shuttered 10 months later, sad because for the first time in a long time- I really loved my job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. Bought a tablet today, hopefully, this will get easier. Can't wait to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't do any posting besides on my computer, but if you figure out how to throw in a few paragraph breaks on your phone, it'd be a lot easier to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kimberlee, you're not a kidding! Lol. I'm really hoping I'll be able to write entries with paragraphs on my Nook Tablet. Congrats on the agent, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tagged you for the Lucky 7 MeMe. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. That's really what it's all about, isn't it? Making a difference however, whenever and for whomever we can. I too would love to be that smile that makes someone's day better. Thanks for making MY day better!

    ReplyDelete